Kunming International Academy is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
The Accrediting Commission for Schools, Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) is one of six regional accrediting associations in the United States. The Commission provides assistance to schools located in California, Hawaii, Guam, the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas, American Samoa, the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, and East Asia.
("Accrediting Commission for Schools Western Association of Schools and Colleges." Accrediting Commission for Schools Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Web. June. 2015. http://www.acswasc.org/wasc/acs-wasc-overview/)
Through WASC's evaluation of institutions, WASC accreditation assures the educational community, the general public, and other organizations and agencies that an institution has clearly defined objectives appropriate to education; has established conditions under which their achievement can reasonably be expected; appears in fact to be accomplishing them substantially; is so organized, staffed, and supported that it can be expected to continue to do so; and demonstrates that it meets WASC's criteria and accreditation standards. WASC encourages and supports institutional development and improvement through an institutional self-evaluation using the accreditation criteria and policies, as well as mid-cycle, follow-up, and special reports, and periodic evaluation of institutional quality by qualified peer professionals.
("Accrediting Commission for Schools Western Association of Schools and Colleges." Accrediting Commission for Schools Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Web. June. 2015. http://www.acswasc.org/wasc/acs-wasc-mission/)
Kunming International Academy is accredited by the NCCT. NCCT is the abbreviation of the National Center for School Curriculum and Textbook Development, a non-governmental agency affiliated to the Ministry of Education of China.
Established in 1998 on the basis of the former Research Center for School Curriculum and Textbook Development, NCCT is engaged in nation-wide study, development and assessment of school curricula, textbooks and related professional work.
So far as educational evaluation is concerned, NCCT takes the following as its main functions:
- to conducting research on the evaluation of elementary, junior secondary and senior secondary education, and formulating standards for the assessment of learning results and teaching materials in elementary, junior secondary and senior secondary education,
- assessing the curricula, textbooks, non-textbook publication and audio and video products in elementary, junior secondary and senior secondary education,
- assessing the teaching and administration of teaching affairs at middle schools and elementary schools,
- acting as the secretariat of the National Committee for the Examination and Approval of Textbooks Used at Middle Schools and Elementary Schools, and
- carrying out accreditation of schools for children of foreign nationals.
NCCT is the only accreditation-related agency approved by the Ministry of Education, and it is the only Chinese agency carrying out school accreditation in the mainland of China.